Entertaining: Setting the Scene – Smashing Pumpkins
Here are some fun and fabulous ways to creatively use pumpkins in your fall décor that will impress and delight your family and friends this holiday season.
- Fall florals: Use a hollowed out pumpkin as a flower vase to make a stunning centerpiece for your autumn table.
- Set up a glamorous buffet using pumpkins as pedestals. Saw off the stem and as much of the top of the pumpkin to make it flat. Place silver trays of food on top. Use pumpkins of varying heights for the most visually-pleasing display.
- Make roasted baby pumpkins for edible, individual soup bowls. Cut off and reserve the top of each pumpkin by cutting around the stem in a circle. Scoop out the seeds, drizzle the insides with a little olive oil; season with some salt and pepper. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until tender, about 40 minutes. Fill your “tureen” with soup and serve with the tops slightly askew.
- Make a pumpkin even cooler by scooping out the insides, filling it with ice and adding your favorite bottled beverages. Instant fall bar. How cool is that?
- Transform mini pumpkins into candle holders by cutting a 1-inch wide circle in each one. Scoop out the flesh with a small spoon and insert an unscented votive in each one.
- Medium-sized pumpkins make fantastic candy dishes when you remove the seeds and nestle a pretty napkin over the flesh to protect your sweets.
- Don’t neglect your outdoor space, either. Make your guests feel festive even before they ring the doorbell. Pile pumpkins and assorted gourds high in a window box for a stunning display.
- Use miniature pumpkins as place cards with each guest’s name or initial written on the pumpkin or on a “leaf” made from card stock.
- Even if you don’t have a pumpkin pie in the oven, you can still mimic the cozy scent of one baking. Cut off a small pumpkin’s top and scrape out the insides. Cut out a few round holes for vents along the pumpkin’s surface. Rub the top with some pumpkin pie spice, dot with a few cloves and place a lighted votive inside. Replace the top and the pumpkin will omit the delicious aroma for several hours.
- For a simple floral arrangement, use a pumpkin as a cache pot. Slice off the top and pull out the innards before placing a pot of mums inside.
Content and photography © 2012 Hutchstone, LLC. All rights reserved.