The Stock Pot: Sensational Sides – Cheesy Roasted Garlic Bread
There’s nothing quite like a crusty piece of warm garlic bread to accompany your soup, chili or pasta. I mean, how could you possibly improve on one of the world’s perfect sides? I’m so glad you asked! Sure, minced garlic or garlic powder will do the job nicely. But, if you really want to amp up the flavor, roast your garlic first. The sweet caramelized cloves will elevate this classic bread to sensational highs – and the mozzarella and Parmesan just take it over the top. You can omit the cheese if you want fabulous straight-up garlic bread. But, now why in the world would you want to go do a thing like that?
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 1 head garlic, roasted and cooled (see link below for recipe and how–to)
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups freshly grated mozzarella
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan
- extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Halve the loaf of bread lengthwise. In a small bowl, squeeze out the garlic cloves from its skins. Using a fork, mash the garlic into a paste. Add the butter and stir to thoroughly combine. Spread half of the garlic paste onto each piece of bread. Roast the bread for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella and half of the Parmesan on each slice of bread. Drizzle each slice with a little olive oil. Continue to roast until the cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve immediately.
Content and photography ©2012 Hutchstone, LLC. All rights reserved.